Go back to normal view
The Church of St. John the Evangelist was consecrated in 1872, having been converted from an Elizabethan barn. It was linked with St. Michael’s Church, Cropthorne, in a united benefice in 1923 before both parish churches became part of a wider united benefice with churches in the villages of Fladbury, Hill & Moor and Wyre Piddle across the River Avon in 1998.
Following a serious fire in the church in May 1985, the village community responded positively and the repaired church was rededicated in November 1986. This restoration and subsequent major repair work demonstrated the strength of the church community.
As a relatively small building (seating capacity 100 approx.), simply adorned, there is a homely and relaxed feel to worship. Visitors have remarked on the warmth of the welcome they receive and that they soon feel to be part of the church 'family'.
There is an adjacent former ‘school room’ available, with toilet facility and kitchen, approached from the church through a ‘community garden’ created as a project between the church and village communities.
The simplicity of the church’s architecture, with its wooden beams, lends itself to a variety of services, including those conducted in the Taize and Celtic style.
The former schoolroom near the church is the venue for a well-established children's pre-school playgroup, cub and scout groups and many social events. For a number of years, the local church community has been involved in a village fete on the Green in summer with participation across the community.